Alright Ladies and Gents we have entered a new year filled with opportunity and experiences! This is also the time of year where people tend to reflect on the previous year and determine what goals they would like to set for the new year. I personally had a WONDERFUL and TRANSITIONAL 2016 and am really excited about what PROGRESS 2017 has in store for me. So in my process of reflection and goal drafting I decided to host a vision board party where my friends and I were able to draft our goals and visions for the new year. I thought that I would share with you all the most effective way to create goals for the new year that you can realistically achieve or make major moves to accomplishing those goals.
First thing first….
- Make REALISTIC GOALS but also make goals that you know you will have to work hard at achieving. I compare this to the college application process where you had your safe schools, medium schools, and reaching schools. You should have some goals that you know you can accomplish within 12 months and will not take much more that determination and dedication. Then you should have goals that require consistency, determination and dedication. Lastly, you should have goals that you will have to plan, revisit, create opportunities, and practice consistency, determination and dedication to achieve.
- Next you need to WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS in a list format and in a place where you can see it everyday to ensure that they are etched into your subconscious. Make sure to take steps every day to accomplish each of those goals. Each time you see your goals you should pray/meditate over it, believe that you will achieve it and prepare yourself to accomplish that goal. Remember that there is no need for you to stress over the goal…just work within reason and put out positive vibes about achieving that level of success.
- Last but definitely not least you definitely need to PRACTICE PATIENCE. As you know I talk about patience often on this blog because that happens to be one of the most impactful characteristics of a human being. Understanding that “success is not a sprint but a marathon” and to make sure you take the time to appreciate the journey will make the practice of patience much more enjoyable. You tend to learn a lot about yourself and those around you during this journey so if you’re not taking the time to “be in the moment” then you will miss all of these lessons and will see yourself making the same mistakes over and over again.
So before I go I would like to give you all some guidance with drafting your goals/resolutions for this year. Remember this is an intimate process and it should be about your personal needs and wants and not those that society tends to place upon us. After you have taken the time to understand your passion and purpose then you can start drafting goals in each of these categories:
- Personal Life– Things like learn a language, meditation, spiritual wellbeing, etc.
- Financial– Saving, buying something, or investing in something.
- Career– Advancement in your current position or transitioning to a new position
- Health– Physical (working out and diet), Mental (meditation, taking time to yourself, changing your mindset), and Spiritual (Yoga, meditation, devotionals, reading, etc.)
- Relationships– Mending friendship, keeping in touch with family members and loved ones, or allowing yourself to develop new relationships.
Just remember to BE IN THE MOMENT this year and appreciate your current situation as you work towards achieving your goals!
~Be Fearless Authentic~
Today is November 1st and we are inching closer to 2017. I am a firm believer in ending each year off with a bang and not putting off things to next year but setting up the foundation now! With that being said I think it’s important for everyone to reflect on their goals and dreams today and come up with a challenge of things they can achieve in these next two months to help with starting 2017 off on a positive note.
- These goals and dreams can be in any area of your life it is not limited at all!
- Don’t feel pressured to complete/achieve each goal or dream just focus on taking steps to make it a reality.
- Write out your list and keep it in a place where you will see it everyday. I tend to keep my challenges in my planner because I carry it with me everywhere.
- Go into this challenge with a positive attitude and allow yourself to add, change, or rethink things throughout this journey. It is important that once you start working towards these goals you are open to other things that may interest you or a different way of doing something that you hadn’t thought of in the past. This is a journey so allow yourself to be influenced and shaped by the journey.
Have fun and feel free to share your challenge and how it’s going throughout these two months!
~Be Fearlessly Authentic~
In a generation ran by “here and now” it is important to take a step back and allow some time to really develop your dreams and goals. I speak from personal experience where I have jumped the gun with a few things in my life and had to deal with the consequences while working overtime to fix everything. If I would have just taken a little more time instead of forcing it I would have reduced the consequences. Now that I have moved past my school and entry level working stage I am excited about reflecting on what I’ve learned and using that as I head into a new stage of my life. After major reflection I realize the “Major Key” (DJ Khaled voice) is to really exercise PATIENCE.
This doesn’t mean that I am not planning and pushing for my dreams and goals but I am starting to understand that everything takes time and as long as you prepare and allow God to put you in the perfect place it will come to fruition. So as I review my remaining three goals for 2016 I’m trying not to get antsy and just allow things to come together before we move into 2017. So I challenge you to really reflect and meditate on your decisions thus far and see if Patience has been an issue for you. If so, then write out your goals and dreams then start listing the things you will need to complete in order for it to be successful and start working through that list. Pay attention to everything around you because there may be opportunities for you to enhance those dreams and goals that you might miss if you are too tunnel vision.
We live in a very fluid society so don’t feel discouraged if your dream or goal does not come to pass the way that you envisioned it but instead look at the other opportunities around you that may be even bigger or better than you originally imagined. I hope this helps someone who feels that they are not achieving their goals in the time they have set. Keep planning and preparing and it shall come to pass.
~Be Fearlessly Authentic~
Whew! I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted but boy do I have a lot to share! First, let me give you some background on myself. So after passing the Bar exam I got my first job at a firm which I was super excited for the opportunity! But after a few months I knew that it wasn’t for me and since I’m not the type to quit or make rash decisions I focused my prayers on direction and guidance. 6 months into working at that firm, I received a call from my mentor with an opportunity to get a Certificate in Corporate Compliance and a call from a job opportunity in the Atlanta area. All of this was great but the job was a temporary job so the thought of leaving a permanent job to go to a temporary job was daunting but I stepped out on faith and moved to Atlanta and started the Compliance program.
One year and two months later, I have completed my Certificate Program and planning to sit for the CCEP exam and I am still at the company that offered me the temporary position. The only difference with my job situation is that as of May 2016 I was no longer a temporary employee and next week I will be starting a new position. So within a year I have been promoted twice and I am now in an area of law that I love!
I share all of this to showcase the great things that happen when you pray and step out on faith. Every time I think back I am just astonished by the blessings I have received this past year and I am excited to see what God has in store for me. I hope this story encourages someone to step out on faith and trust that God will order your steps and allow you to see your dreams come true!
~Be Fearlessly Authentic~
So dating is the big topic around my circles of highly educated, accomplished, driven, cultured and SINGLE women. How can you balance all of your dreams and goals while finding the time to meet new people which may or may not lead to dating. As I said in my last post I am a dreamer and I spend a lot of time drafting plans to accomplish those dreams while actually working to accomplish those dreams and maintaining a full-time job. With being health conscious, career and passion driven there is just not enough hours in the day!
So I attended a singles mixer a few weeks ago geared towards women and men like myself who find it hard to meet people due to their hectic schedule. I had a great time at the ‘Mix and Mingle’ event and was introduced to the host who also has a program called the ‘Social Experience’ where she gets a bunch of information from each person and sets you up on blind dates with potential matches.
If you are anything like me it is really hard to put yourself out there and takes a lot of strength to go along with this because we are not ‘daters’ in the traditional sense. We appreciate an organic and natural progression from friendship into a relationship. But as it was so eloquently pointed out to me “Where have you been going to meet new people everyday?” in response I screamed “EVERYDAY!?!?!”
Face it, majority of us tend to go places where we could meet new people with our close friends so stay in our comfort zone and don’t actually meet anyone new. If that’s not already a big problem we only do this once or twice a month so in all honestly when do we meet new people…..never. So with that revelation I swiftly signed up for this ‘Social Experience’ and have been matched with a few people. In the next few days I will going on these dates and I plan on going in there with an open mind while sharing my experience with you all. I encourage anyone out there with a similar story to try something new, put yourself out there so that you may meet your new ‘bae’ or future husband/wife.
Please comment and let me know if you’ve tried blind dating, online dating, or some other creative way to get yourself out there while being a…. (insert profession) In The City!
~Be Fearlessly Authentic~
So I just came across a video on youtube about ‘Patience and Perseverance’ for the dreamers of the world. This video hit the nail on the head for me because I have so many ideas and concepts that I come up with on a daily basis. I have dreams of doing much more than I am right now and have this gut feeling that there is so much more out there for me to accomplish.
The point that was made in this video was that this just may not be your time to accomplish what you know to be your destiny because you have lessons to be learned in your current space. One of those lessons may be practicing gratitude because why would the Lord bless you with more opportunities if you don’t appreciate your current situtaiton. This can be really hard for dreamers because we tend to live in the future and what we would like to accomplish and great things that we can see happening that we tend to forget about what is happening in the moment and all of the blessings around us. This leads to the first point of patience. Whew! Patience is something that I struggle with and I have to remind myself constantly that things will not happen automatically and anything worth have is worth working and waiting for. I have to believe that God has a plan for me and as long as I stay in the moment while continuing to dream I will gain so much wisdom and knowledge so when I achieve the ‘much more’ I will know to give God the glory and be able to share my story with others.
Right now my life looks great to others and I know there are people who would love to be in the position that I am right now which is why I have to live in the moment and appreciate the blessings that I’ve already been given while mentally preparing myself for my ‘much more’.
Just thought that I would share this for all of the dreamers out there….appreciate your current situation and practice patience while waiting on your dreams to come to fruition and know that when you perservere you must give God the glory!!!
~Be Fearlessly Authentic~